Friday 21 March 2008

Fish Tank Txt

Fish Tank
From this point I started looking for a space to evolve and use this idea of "white cube" and production space. I also began to make dreams into performances. I had, had a dream at this time about a character with a fish tank. There where two fish and he was acting as if they where puppets and was unaware that they where dead. He was pushing these fish around the tank and trying to wake them up. I went back to the room where the "Tent Film" was and decided to remove the tent and paint the walls white to create "white cube". After the tent had gone there where was only the leaves left and I decided that these would stay and used in the next film. " Fish Tank" was filmed using four angles and involved a recreation the story above. However during that dream I could see through the point of view of the character in the dream. I decided to go with my instinct and use a white boiler suit and mask. I liked the idea that the viewer would be unaware of the identity of the character and would question it was me doing this act or not. It added a certain amount of anonymous to the person in the same way as I unaware when dreaming. I also thought about the images I had seen in "Gordon Burns" book "A day at work, interviews with Damien Hurst". They�re where photographs of technicians lowering a shark in to a tank of formaldehyde for the work called
"The Physical Impossibility of Death in the mind of someone living, 1991".
I thought about this image a lot and thought it was a very strong one. I liked the idea that the film I had made could somehow mimic this activity but on a much cheaper budget. It acted like an absurd joke on the way art is sometimes produced and reflected the image I had seen in this book.
On reflection of this film I found my response and the response of others to be an initial amount of intrigue but was too long to captivate and hold the viewer. I started to think about cutting and mixing the different audio and visuals and treating each performance as a scene rather than an individual film. In the same way as when I dream I drift in and out of different stories, this could also happen.

No comments: