Friday 21 March 2008

Tent Film

Tent Film
The first piece I made in the series is untitled but referred to as "Tent film" At the time when this was created I was very lost if I'm honest. I hadn't been able to find my feet after coming home from Germany and this was digging at me. I was in a very low place, unable to be productive and to find the confidence that I had found on the Exchange. I started at what interested me in other hobbies and roles of life outside of art. I was scared before to experiment with these and in some way saw life and art as separate. Although I also thought I knew that it wasn�t separate.
I experimented with bringing my outdoor pursuit life into the studio and began to work with maps and photos taken with torches and films around the theme of urban and country driving.
After deciding I wasn't happy with the detachment of my self as a figure in the work I assembled a tent in my studio. I created an environment with sound and smell that mimicked my experience of camping with my friends talking on a recording I made during a trip. Around the tent I placed leaves and assembled cameras inside the tent. At this point I was aware that I was allowing my actions to evolve naturally. Making small changes that them caused effect on what happened next. I made one film where I climbing into the space and doing what felt natural inside this environment. I started to look at Mike Nelsons work with instillation and several of Roman Signers films involving tents and the natural environment. I became more interested in the working inside the studio rather than out side. So decided to evolve the room into the next work I would make and somehow reference the actions made before with the tent film.

No comments: