Friday 21 March 2008

PaintBrushHeadMan

Paint Brush Head Man
After "Fish Tank" I moved on to a new Idea of "The Driller". However I began to question what the costume for this piece would be. I could not figure out what I wanted to portray to the viewer though what the person in the film was dressed in. It came back to the idea that each object, prop and costume took on a meaning through what it was connected to and surrounded by and also the activity that as taking place.
Danny had approached me with a new concept. His I idea was to use me as a paintbrush and he would be a painter. We discussed about the idea of nonsense an absurdity. The Dadaists said " It's not Dada that is non-sense but the essence of our age that is nonsense". So approaching this theme we began to build up a space. Buying materials, paint and costumes together we gathered the essence of how this performance would be created, however we left most of it to the unknown. There was a start where by I would be upside down but there was nothing from then on. The costumes and props began to form relation ships with what I had been working with. The colors where blue, white, black and all of those mixed together. Danny wore quite a feminine outfit with the colors green and red. I was wearing a very masculine outfit of a vest and track bottoms and a pair of Boots from the foundry. These costume started to contrast the activity and create dominant roles in what normally would be the opposite.
We had placed plastic sheets on the floor and had painted several white boards to represent canvases. Unable to see I was only able to see I was restricted to the edge of the boards. I thought afterward that this is quite representative of the traditional notion and constant argument revolutionized by "Jackson Pollock� of "The Edge". The idea that a painter is restricted to the edge a canvas.
During the piece we both agreed that we got our selves into a state of mind that we where able to forget about the cameras and "Eoghan" who had been invited as an audience to see how the piece would work live. Time was forgotten and nonsensical communication adopted.
"Paint Brush Head man had referenced the three buckets used in room that I had been developing "The Driller". I decide that I could allow the costume for the next piece, to be created by the "Paint Brush Head man" and be used in "The Drill".

No comments: